Follow BritHereNow on Twitter

Recent Posts

The Bertrand Russell Show

Feminist Philosophers

fragments of consciousness

Gender, Race and Philosophy: The Blog

Knowability

Leiter Reports: A Philosophy Blog

Long Words Bother Me

semantics etc. highlights

Thoughts Arguments and Rants

Nostalgia

Nostalgia

Friday, June 22, 2007

The Best Philosophy Journals

Via The Brooks Blog:

Best philosophy journals according to the European Science Foundation (incomplete list):

A
American Philosophical Quarterly
Analysis
Australasian Journal of Philosophy
Biology and Philosophy
British Journal for the History of Philosophy
British Journal for the Philosophy of Science
Economics and Philosophy
Ethics
Journal of Philosophy
Kantian Review
Kant-Studien
Law and Philosophy
Linguistics and Philosophy
Midwest Studies in Philosophy
Mind
Mind and Language
Monist
Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic
Nous
Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy
Pacific Philosophical Quarterly
Philosophical Perspectives (Nous Supplement)
Philosophical Quarterly
Philosophical Review
Philosophical Studies
Philosophy and Phenomenological Research
Philosophy and Public Affairs
Philosophy of Science
Phronesis
Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society
Social Philosophy and Policy
Synthese

B
Ancient Philosophy
Archiv für Rechts- und Sozialphilosophie
Argumentation
Asian Philosophy
Canadian Journal of Philosophy
Croatian Journal of Philosophy
Environmental Ethics
Ethical Theory and Moral Practice
European Journal of Philosophy
Faith and Philosophy
Grazer Philosophische Studien
Inquiry
International Journal of Philosophical Studies
International Journal for Philosophy of Religion
Journal of Applied Philosophy
Journal of Consciousness Studies
Journal of Ethics
Journal of Medical Ethics
Journal of Moral Philosophy
Journal of Political Philosophy
Journal of Value Inquiry
Legal Theory
Logique et Analyse
Metaphilosophy
Metaphysica
Minds and Machines
Modern Schoolman
Nietzsche Studien
Philosophia
Philosophical Issues (Nous Supplement)
Philosophical Papers
Philosophical Topics
Political Theory
Ratio
Res Publica
Review of Metaphysics
Social Theory and Practice
Southern Journal of Philosophy
Utilitas

C
Analyse und Kritik
Critique
Danish Yearbook of Philosophy
Das Argument
Deutsche Zeitschrift für Philosophie
Environmental Values
Ethical Perspectives
Fisosofisk Tidskrift
Filozoficky casopis
Hegel-Jahrbuch
LOGOS
Philosophica
Philosphical Investigations
Philosophie
Philosophy
Prima Philosophia
Reports on Philosophy
Sats
Studia Philosophica
Studies in East European Thought
Teorema
Yearbook of the Irish Philosophical Society

In my opinion, the list is fairly accurate as far as the mainstream journals go, though I think it would have been better to divide the A and B groups into more categories. Thom Brooks has some reasonable complaints (mostly) about the ranking of specialty journals.

UPDATE: There is an interesting discussion of the ESF's ranking of philosophy journals over at Leiter Reports.

FURTHER UPDATE: Noelle McAfee has expressed some worries about this ranking, which are well worth checking out. Also, there is an interesting discussion of ESF's ranking over at Knowledge and Experience.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brit,

Yeah, there ought to be some complaints about specialty journals here. That IJPS and (good grief) Environmental Ethics are listed and Faith and Philosophy and IJPR are not really points up a well-known bias. I work in the area, so I can't say much that won't be written off, but to have Legal Theory and Political Theory listed (both pretty mediocre) and not a single phil. of religion journal seems to me silly.

Dan López de Sa said...

I was suprised that Philosophers' Imprint was not listed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike and Dan

Mike: Faith and Philosophy and IJPR are listed (see the ESF link). I just didn't include them on my incomplete list (taken from ESF). I have now corrected that.

Dan: I was just having the same thought. That's very odd.

Anonymous said...

Argh! Lazy of me not to have noticed. Thanks Brit!

Thom Brooks said...

Many thanks for noting my post, Brit, and apologies to Mike: yes, I only included a partial list of journals to give a flavour of what you might find if you read the full list. Sure, I was pleased to find my JMP finally made the list (it wasn't originally in the list) although I remain shocked that the Journal of Social Philosophy is missing. I am a big fan of Legal Theory (and I would place it higher than Law & Philosophy).

I suppose in the end my biggest grip is that it seems more or less decent (despite some of my complaints on my site) for philosophy in general. Those of us whose work is more interdisciplinary run into trouble. Thus, those of us who work in political philosophy would find it a terrific achievement to publish in the American Political Science Review and yet this doesn't make the list.

I do know that the ESF is beginning to look at Politics and Law, and I'll be following this quite closely.

Anonymous said...

Dan, I should also mention that I contacted ESF to make them aware of Philosophers' Imprint's existence.

Thom Brooks said...

It is shocking they were unaware of it before. Insanity.

Anonymous said...

I have some concerns about this ranking. I posted some thoughts on my blog, which is at gonepublic.wordpress.com.

Brit Brogaard said...

Hi Noelle,
I just read your entry. It sounds right. I will post a link to it.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that neither Journal of the History of Philosophy nor Archiv fur Geschichte der Philosophie are on the list. Or were they on the original ESF list?

Daniel said...

Thank you for the list. I found it very helpful when submitting my article today.

@Charlie (and I know this is three years too late), JHP is an A and AGP is a B.